with David Nagel
Dates: February 11, 18, 25 and March 4. All webinars start at 3:45 p.m.
Registration Fee: ($75/$125 Level 1/Level 2)
No cost for AGSD, BSSD, LKSD, Nenana, NSBSD, NWABSD, YKSD educators
Credit: One optional university credit is available for attending all webinars and participating in online assignments and discussions ($145)
These webinars are focused on how to take John Hattie’s visible learning research and turn it into classroom experiences for students. John Hattie’s ground-breaking book Visible Learning synthesized the results of more than 15 years of research involving millions of students and represented the biggest ever collection of evidence-based research into what actually works in schools to improve learning. The Visible Teacher explains how to apply the principles from Visible Learning to any classroom anywhere in the world. Explore concise and user-friendly summaries of the most successful interventions and practical step-by-step guidance to the successful implementation of visible learning and visible teaching in the classroom.
Participants will engage in a deep exploration around the role the teacher plays in positively impacting student learning while discovering new pathways to develop visible learners in their classroom and/or school.
- Identify the linkage between dispositions of learning and student achievement
- Identify strategies to use to establish a shared language of learning in their classroom and/or school
- Determine how to use standards to establish clarity
- Identify strategies to use with students to support understanding of learning intentions and success criteria
- Identify strategies to use with students to support surface, deep and transfer learning
- Determine ways to monitor student application of learning tools and strategies
- Identify how to elicit focused evidence of student learning
- Analyze evidence of learning to provide effective feedback
- Identify strategies to use with students to support self and peer feedback
Target Audience: K-12 Educators
Credit: One optional university credit is available for attending all webinars and participating in online assignments and discussions.
Webinars are recorded and available for viewing the next day! If you want to take the course credit and have time conflicts with the live webinar, you will work with the instructor to arrange makeup work.
David Nagel is a former high school teacher and administrator. Dave has been a professional developer since 2003; presenting, keynoting, and coaching teachers and school administrators at all levels. His primary areas of expertise are in effective collaboration (PLCs), common formative assessments, effective use of scoring guides for learning targets, and meaningful and practical grading practices. Dave is an author/consultant with Corwin and is a certified presenter in John Hattie’s Visible Learning+. His book, Effective Grading Practices for Secondary Teachers, was recently published by Corwin Press.