New Teachers and Teachers New to Alaska
Meet your Multicultural Studies Requirement
- This 3-credit Course is approved through the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development to meet the Multicultural/Cross-Cultural Communications requirement for teacher certification.
- Approved in Anchorage School District MLP. Class size limited to 40.
- Required Texts: Culturally Proficient Instruction and Culturally Responsive Standards-Based Teaching
- Dates: September 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19, 26, November 2, 9, 16
- All online coursework must be completed by November 30, 2022.
- Platforms: Sessions run on Zoom, asynchronous work collected on UAA Blackboard.
- Provides a framework for understanding multicultural education in the context of the classroom, community, and society.
- Focuses on ways to build relationships within classrooms that support multicultural learning. Presents an overview of Alaska Native cultures, historical events, and worldviews.
- Explores contemporary education issues, including planning and implementation of classroom activities and strategies that fosters growth in teachers to accept and appreciate all cultures and value the rich diversity of the students in their classrooms and beyond.
- Incorporates Alaska Standards for Culturally Responsive Schools and the Guidelines for Preparing Culturally Responsive teachers.