This unique program is designed to provide early career principals with a collegial cohort that is engaged in networking, skill building and mutual support across the state.
K-12 principals new to the profession or to Alaska are invited annually in the summer/fall to apply to participate in the Alaska School Leadership Academy.
- Foster or build a culture in your school community with a focus on student learning.
- Find support with an Alaska-based, seasoned principal who will serve as your professional mentor.
- Connect to a network of new principals across the state.
- Participate in ongoing professional learning that is focused on the dispositions and tools early career principals need.
- Learn strategies to communicate effectively with your staff and navigate difficult conversations.
- Explore how to use school data for continuous improvement.
The 2019-2020 application period has closed.
As a participant in the program you will have face-to-face and online opportunities to work with trained facilitators, mentors and other principals. This program goes deeper than traditional sit-and-get professional development because it:
1) is job embedded — activities and planning are immediately applicable to your individual school,
2) Sets aside time you need for reflection and planning,
3) connects you to a diverse group of principals and districts, and
4) is based on the latest research, delivered by school leaders with years of experience working in Alaska.
Participants can expect to spend about 3 hours per month in program activities except for the months of October, January and May, when the cohort meets in person. The program will also provide a number of optional no-cost college credit opportunities.
Each cohort member will be paired with and Alaska-based, seasoned principal who will serve as your professional mentor. Required interactions twice per month will focus on themes of leadership and problems of practice (minimum one hour per month total time commitment).
FACE TO FACE MEETINGS
Program participants are required to take part in three face-to-face meetings throughout the year. Gary Whiteley and Lexie Domaradzki will lead these professional learning opportunities in 2019-2020.
Alaska Principals Conference: October, Anchorage.
RTI MTSS Effective Instruction – January, Anchorage
Alaska School Leadership Institute (ASLI) – May, Anchorage
Topical Webinars Participants will have 3 or more webinar opportunities throughout the year on topics such as leadership, K-12 advocacy and data driven instructional leadership.
Book Study and Ongoing Discussion Group in AkPLN (Alaska Professional Learning Network): Participants will participate in monthly facilitated discussions on the book Dispositions of Leadership using the AkPLN Network.
2019-2020 Program Calendar
Please contact ASLA program director Sam Jordan with any questions